Daw‘an Mud Brick Architecture Foundation is a private independent organisation, financially autonomous and accountable, registered at the Office of Ministry of Industry and Commerce, Hadramut Branch. Our head office is in Mukalla, with site offices in Daw‘an (Khaylat Bugshan and Masna‘at ‘Urah since 2006).
Members & Committee
Founding & Acting Members
- Abdullah Ahmad Said Bugshan, Engineer (KSA & Yemen)
- Abdullah Ba Ghumyan, Survey Engineer, Managing Director (Mukalla-Hadramut)
- Salma Samar Damluji, Chief Architect & Consultant (London, Beirut & Hadramut)
- Ali Ba Sa‘d, Architect, Deputy Director (Mukalla-Hadramut)
- Abdul Rahman Ba Baqi, Site Architect (Mukalla-Hadramut)
- Saleh Ali Ba Surrah (Yemen), Minister of Higher Education and Scientific Research (2006-2011) Sana’, and former Rector of San‘a’ and Aden Universities.
- Salman Salem Binladen (KSA), Jeddah
- Marie-Hélène Contal (France), Deputy Director French Institute of Architecture Paris, Coordination of The Global Award for Sustainable Architecture, Cité de l´Architecture et du Patrimoine, Paris
- Abdulrahman F Al Eryani (Yemen), Minister of Water & Environment (2006-2011) Sana’a; National Director the Socotra Conservation and Development Programme (2002–2006), Socotra
- Peter Murray (UK), Chairman NLA: London's Centre for the Built Environment; Founder Director of the London Festival of Architecture, Honorary Secretary of The Architecture Club; Design Advisor to Qatari Diar on the Chelsea Barracks site and to the Mayor of London on self build housing
- Abdul Wahed El Wakil (Egypt), Head of Islamic Architecture Research- Qatar Foundation, Doha; Received the Aga Khan Award for Architecture in1980 and in 1989
- Julie Haddow, Lime Plastering Specialist, www.limerepair.com (UK)
- Anna Heringer, Architect, Aga Khan Award for Architecture 2007, UNESCO Chair Earthen Architecture (Austria)
- Clare Melhuish, Anthropologist of Architecture and the Built Environment, The Open University (UK)
- Venetia Porter, Curator, British Museum (UK)
- Tracy Thompson, Painter & Illustrator (UK)
- Jurriaan van Stigt, Architect, LEVS architecten, President SDO (Foundation Education Dogon), Chief Editor of Forum (Netherlands & Mali)
- Rob Wilson, Architect, Editor of Block & uncube (Berlin), Curator: RIBA 1999-2010, Salon Suisse Venice 2012 (UK)
Friends of the Foundation include members of cultural institutions, academics, professionals and colleagues from the region and abroad who are consulted on projects, technical assistance and international activities.
Our technical advisors are the master builders and craftsmen, who collaborate with us from the early stages of survey and documentation work. They are contracted and their teams appointed on all the Foundation projects. External consultants and professional expertise are nominated and invited to consult and work with us on various short-term visits.